Pulses such as dry beans, chickpeas, and lentils increase feelings of fullness and can help you lose weight. Studies have found that
- Eating 130g of pulses per day makes you feel 31% fuller.
- Including 160g of pulses daily helps in managing and losing weight.
- The more pulses you eat, the less likely you are to be obese.
Delve deeper into how to align your appetite with your needs.
Pulses are also a good source of nutrients including the B vitamins which boost your immune system.
Easy ways to include pulses include:
- Adding a handful of lentils to stews and casseroles
- Snacking on hummus with carrot or cucumber sticks
- Adding cooked dried beans to vegetable soups
Li SS, Kendall CW, de Souza RJ, Jayalath VH, Cozma AI, Ha V, Mirrahimi A, Chiavaroli L, Augustin LS, Blanco Mejia S, Leiter LA, Beyene J, Jenkins DJ, Sievenpiper JL.(2014) Dietary pulses, satiety and food intake: a systematic review and meta-analysis of acute feeding trials. Obesity (Silver Spring). 22(8):1773-80
McCrory MA, Hamaker BR, Lovejoy JC, Eichelsdoerfer PE (2010) Pulse Consumption, Satiety, and Weight Management. Adv Nutr. 1(1): 17–30